The goal of this article is to learn how to create a new Service Vehicle record. It is also important to understand why.
- Service Vehicle Record - A Service Vehicle is always identified by VIN and will act as a stand alone record to write repair orders, track added parts, and manage service history, regardless who owned the vehicle at any given time.
- Vehicle Inventory Record - A Vehicle Inventory record is identified by a Stock Number and is intended to be bought and sold, possibly multiple times, to different customers. When a Vehicle Inventory record is created, new or used, the system automatically creates a Service Vehicle. This is known as a Parent/Child relationship because the two records are dependent to one another.
Service Vehicles can be created without a Vehicle Inventory record because customers will inevitably buy a vehicle elsewhere and visit your service department.
Before creating a new Service Vehicle you should always search the system to make sure one doesn't already exist. Type the last six numbers of the Vin into the global search. If you do not find a matching Service Vehicle, follow the provided steps.
After reading this article you will be able to:
- Navigate to the Service Vehicle
- Create a Service Vehicle with VIN decode
- Create a Service Vehicle without VIN
- Lookup or Create Account for first-time customers.
Salesforce has two different desktop user interfaces: Lightning Experience and Salesforce Classic. This article is designed for Salesforce Classic.
Step One: Navigate to Service Vehicle
- Click the Create New drop down in the side bar.
- Click Service Vehicle from the options.
Note: Items available under Create New are in direct relationship to your tab bar. If you do not see Service Vehicle in your Tab Bar, it will not be available under Create New.
Step Two: Enter the VIN
- Enter the <VIN> in the VIN field.
- Click Next.
Note: This will VIN decode the Year, Make, and Model.
- Select the correct Trim Level.
Note: When the trim level is selected the Vin Decoder will populate all the standard equipment that was originally on the vehicle. Below this will have the optional equipment that was available on this vehicle. Select optional equipment if desired.
- Click Save.
No Vin is Present
- Click No Vin Present.
- Fill out as much information as you possible.
- Click Save.
Step Three: Add a Vehicle Owner
- click the Veh Owner Account look-up icon.
- Enter the <Account Name>.
- Click Go.
- Select the desired Account from the search results.
- Click the Veh Owner Account look-up icon .
- Click the New button.
- Enter the new customer's information
- Click Save.