In this article, you will be able to create the method of assigning the next stock number to your vehicle inventory record. We have a few methods of creating the next available stock number.
- Assign by last of VIN number.
- Assign by a numerical sequence with a starting stock number.
- Assign by using Stock Number Book.
After reading the article you will be able to select a method and set up your stock numbering for your organization.
Navigate to Sales Department Setting
Create your style of stock numbering. This is where you can select the method of your custom stock numbering.
1. Click the App Launcher.
2. Enter dms in the search area.
3. Click DMS Defaults.
4. Click the Sales Department Settings tab.
Assign Stock Number by last of VIN Number
Follow steps below to assign Stock Number by last of VIN number.
- Select Stock Number Automatically.
- Select Stock# Length if last of VIN and enter how many digits of the last of the VIN you would like your stock number to contain. (Recommend at least 8 digits) using 6 digits may result in duplicates. This example will use the last 8 digits of the VIN.
Assign by a Numerical Sequence with a Starting Stock Number
Follow steps below to assign Stock number by numerical sequence.
- Select Assign Stock Number Automatically.
- Select Assign Stock Number by Sequence.
- Select Current Stock Number Sequence and enter a number that you would like to start with.
Assign by using Stock Number Book.
With this feature, you can create a custom alphanumerical stock book.
1. Select Assign Stock Number Automatically.
2. Select Assign Stock Number by Stock Book.
Creating a Stock Number Book
Go to All Tabs> Stock Number Book>New.
- Enter the Stock# to be used.
- Select the Location of the store to use this stock number.
- Select the Sequence of when you want it used.
- Select the Active checkbox.
- Click on Save to save changes. Click Save & New to save current changes and create a new Stock Number Book Edit.
(Recommended) Data load
To Data load, you can create an excel file with the following information, Stock number, Location ID, Sequence, and a field for the Active checkbox to be checked. See your Systems Admin for details on Data loads.